Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Playing the long game

I'm quite fond of shinies. Any time I've had the good fortune to scoop a faction or dead space module I take special care to squirrel it away for a rainy day. I tend not to use them very often if they're particularly shiney, any module worth over a hundred million ISK or so gets promptly sold off, but I always hold onto the stuff that looks worthless, for the most part.

I'm of course speaking of things like plating, small remote repairers and faction weapons. I don't see the point in selling them for next to nothing when there may come a day when that module becomes useful, even desirable.

It seems that day is fast approaching. Since the introduction of frigate sized wormholes it has been obvious that a glaring omission from gangs using these routes was a way to bring effective logistics ships with them. As it stands, frigate logi ships aren't bad, but they certainly aren't great, either. They're slow, have a poor resistance profile and are quite fragile. Invariably when a fight starts, they're the first cleared from the field of battle. In that instance it becomes obvious you'd have been better off just bringing eWar or DPS ships.

It's long been one of my favourite doctrines with Sudden Buggery to combine Enyos with Exequrors, so having a frigate wormhole capable logistics ship that doesn't instantly explode when someone looks at it sideways will be great for expanding the usefulness of that doctrine.


Hence, the announcement of Tech II Logistic Frigates recently is a very welcome one. Presumably with a strong resistance profile and the fitting flexibility to enable a reasonable buffer tank I'm sure they'll be widely adopted. If you've been reading my blog long enough you may remember I'd hoped that one of the functions of the Tech III Destroyers would fill this role, but I'm happy enough with this result, too.

Which brings me back to the shinies. If Logistics frigates go down the same road as their cruiser counterparts and are able to fit over sized modules, I expect these dead space modules will be in high demand. I suspect that won't be the case, however. The medium remote repairers have a high fitting cost, even more than that of their tech II variants, which really restricts them to cruiser hulls. I expect it's the small dead space repairers which will really be popular and judging by market influences already, it certainly appears to be the case.

Better start putting some more time into 3/10 and 4/10 DEDs, I guess...