Friday, October 30, 2015

Bait & Catch

In W-Space, effective baiting is often the difference between getting a fight and getting blue balled. At Buggery over the last year or so we've had great success with the Nereus, but it's become more famous as bait now than a Maller. So we switched it up to the Sigil which, whilst probably not quite as effective, still generates pretty amazing shield regeneration. Generally recognised as a nooby hauler, it frequently gets the cloaky hunter exposed, as this Pilgrim pilot will attest. In case you're curious, this is how we fit it:

[Sigil, Masterbaiter]

Damage Control II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Warp Scrambler II

Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I
Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

Medium Core Defense Field Purger I
Medium Core Defense Field Purger I
Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

The small Nos will keep your scram on even if you're neuted dry and the medium helps to keep the hardeners going under similar circumstances. It's no use solo, of course, the Nereus is still king for that, but it's great for luring out cloaky campers.

In my C3 Red Giant I've currently got someone trying to do the same thing to me, albeit poorly. It started off with a Hound and a Magnate. But the owner was careless and allowed me to spot his two ships even after I had rolled all exits. Clearly he was camping the system. I watch listed the Magnate pilot and two days later it was biomassed. Nothing suss! Sure enough, a couple of days later a four day old pilot in an Imicus just miraculously appeared in the system after all exits were rolled. I convo'd him to feel him out but he was sticking with his story, hastily jumping back in system when I tried to roll him out, just like any other lost noob would when faced with two Megathrons, right? Then yesterday, it was a Heron. Again only a few days old and again appearing in system from nowhere when the only way in or out was being observed. Just to add some fuel to the suss fire, he ran only one of three Data sites in system before logging at a safe.

It's safe to assume he's trying to draw out the Disco Inferno. My guess is he's in a Hound, perhaps a Stratios, perhaps both, waiting by his nooby scanner to get popped and putting a long point on the Proteus and grinding it down. It's a great plan and the Hound is the perfect ship for the job, so I'll give him credit for that. And let's be honest, the Proteus has survived far too long already, its time is due. But I'm not going to give it up to a 4 day old Heron anytime soon. You're going to have to do better than that.

Pro-tip to my would be camper: I'm working 60 hour weeks so don't bother on weekdays, I can't be arsed. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it civil!